2 cups of chicken broth
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 green onions
1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch dice
1 cup of pearled barley (also called 10 minute barley)
1 cup of diced andouille sausage
3/4 cup of white wine
1/2 cup of Parmesan
2 tablespoons of fresh basil
1/4 cup of frozen peas
zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup of half and half
pepper to taste
What you do:
- Pour the vegetable broth into a glass measuring cup and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Heat the 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Cook the white parts of the green onion, sweet potato, barley, sausage, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Toast the barley and render the sausage.
- Add the wine and scrape the bits of flavor from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the hot stock and cook for about 10 minutes. Taste and check doneness, the barley should be al dente.
- Add the cheese, basil, peas, lemon zest, butter and half and half.
- Taste and adjust seasoning garnish with
green onions and cheese shavings.
As always many blessings, much love and happy cooking.