Thursday, February 21, 2013

Blood Orange Marmalade




I love orange marmalade. I think it because my mother is Spanish, most orange marmalade is made from Sevillian Bitter Oranges. I also love making my own jams and jellies. It is easy, economical, and makes great presents. I had some blood oranges that were past their prime and I thought they would make perfect marmalade… I used Ina Garten’s method to make it without pectin or thickener.

What you need:
6 large seedless blood oranges
8 cups of sugar
8 cups of water

What you do:
  1. Thinly slice your oranges, I used a mandolin which works beautifully.
  2. Add oranges and water to the large pan over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
  3. Turn off the heat and add the sugar, stir until dissolved.
  4. Leave uncovered overnight.
  5. The next day, heat the mixture on high until it reaches a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer uncovered for two hours. Turn the heat back to medium and boil gently until the mixture reaches 220 degrees F.
  6. Test the mixture by putting a spoonful on a plate and refrigerate  It should be cool to the touch and neither runny nor hard. If it is hard add more water, if it runny than add more sugar.
  7. Pour into sterilized mason jars. Seal with lids.

No comments: