Friday, May 30, 2008

Apple Pie/Cake Identity Crisis





It’s an Apple Pie; it’s a Coffee Cake; it is breakfast/dessert in identity crisis. Nonetheless, me with my morbid sense of humor, thinks that it is delicious either way. If you yearning for an apple pie but don’t have the time or the inclination to mess about with a finicky pie crust, please enjoy. Plus you gotta love a recipe that requires a wooden spoon.

2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cap full vanilla extract (I am sorely saddened by recent purchase of Tahitian vanilla if given the choice, I would go for best quality pure bourbon vanilla extract. Unlike pearls and coffee, I think this one thing my beautiful fellow-Americans cannot do as well as us Continentals)
3/4 cup regular sugar-bowl sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder (powder not soda)
½ a stick of ground cinnamon taking a slim down via the microplane
a good run of nutmeg along the microplane
1/4 teaspoon salt (be careful, too much salt is dreadful, I still have nightmares about a ruined soda bread)
2 to 3 pounds of gala apples before cleaning
a good sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar for the top

Crank your oven 375 F, and Pam spray or butter your baking vehicle of choice. I used a 10-inch tart pan but pie plate would make a lovely presentation also.

Peal, core, and slice your apples and put them in a bowl of water with half a lemon or a vitamin C tablet so they don’t oxidize. It doesn’t really matter, because you are going to bake them anyway, but I do this more out of habit then necessity. Also after the water has guarded your apples, and they are safely baking in your cake; you can microwave the bowl of lemon water on high for 2 minutes and with a paper towel, viola clean microwave. Waste not, want not: as my mother so aptly taught me.

In your mixer or just a plain ol’ bowl, add the rest of the ingredients all at once until well combined. Remove the bowl from the mixing stand, and get out your favorite wooden spoon. Take your apples and pat dry, or if you didn’t let them go for a swim just, throw them in. Coat the apples with batter. The batter is more apple the cake mix, as is the cake, so no worries.

Spread your batter into your prepared dish, until you have an almost even surface. The batter tastes lovely by the way. Now with great wild abandon sprinkle a few tablespoons of cinnamon sugar according to your taste. My iPod was on my classical playlist at the time, so mine was a little more reserved. However, if I was playing Pour Some Sugar on Me, I am sure we would have had a sweeter and darker crust.

Bake for 30 minutes or so until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the apples are soft.

This is truly an easy, fast, and delicious coffee cake. Please make it and bring it in to your office. Mine loved it.

As always, much love, many blessings, and happy baking.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Love the mits!