Monday, June 6, 2011
Red Velvet Moon Pies
Now I realize that up north, somewhere in Maine, they claim whoopie pies were invented. But in the south we make them too, we just call them moon pies, and we usually dip them in chocolate when we are done. These are classic pairing of two southern traditions, moon pies and red velvet cake.
Ingredients for the Moon Pies:
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
½teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup butter melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoons liquid red food coloring
Ingredients for the cream cheese frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
½ cup of soft butter
3 cups powdered sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Crank your oven to 375 and let it get hot.
2. In your food processor whip together all of the ingredients.
3. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Using an ice cream scoop place small scoops of the dough on the sheet about 3 inches apart, they will rise.
5. Bake for 10 minutes.
6. Let cool completely before filling, or you will have a messy, but delicious sloppy sandwich.
7. In your standing mixer whip together the frosting ingredients.
8. Turn your moon pie side with the bottom facing you, fill with a tablespoon or so of filling, sandwich another half of the moon pie.
As always, much love, many blessings, and happy baking.
- ► 2014 (12)
- ► 2013 (42)
- ► 2012 (42)
- ▼ 2011 (10)
- ► 2010 (21)
- ► 2009 (18)