I have been waiting impatiently for the local farmers market to color and smell explode with gorgeous fruits and vegs. And now that it has, I am truly reveling it. Now in Virginia sweet, very red, strawberries are only here for May and June. To celebrate I whipped together this all together joyously easy pie, and it is cinch to entertain with. If you can't find rhubarb do with out and add a little lime juice to cut through the creamy sweetness.
One pre-baked pie shell any kind is fine
1/4 pound of rhubarb (small stems are so much easiers)
3 tablespoon of strawberry jam
1 eight ounce package of cream cheese
1/4 cup of sugar
a squich of half a lime for juice
25 or so stemmed strawberries
1 tablespoon of apple or apricot jelly to glaze
1. Set a heavy bottomed saucepan on the burner. Chop up the rhubarb into very small little chucks. I would call it a dice if I had better knife skills, but truly, it is only baby little chunks. Set on medium high heat with the strawberry jam and rhubarb. Cook until the rhubarb is soft and the liquid is absorbed.
2. In a standing mixer whip together cream, cooked rhubarb, sugar, and lime juice. Until it is light and fluffy. Fill the pie shell with this yummy creamy concotion.
3. Set the stemmed strawberries point side up on the cream filled pie.
4. Melt the apple jelly in the microwave and brush the shiny warm liquid on the strawberries. Making them glisten in the sugary goodness.
5. Set in the fridge to chill, slice, and enjoy.
Ok, so this less than cooking, and less than baking, more like assembling. But it is delicious regardless of the run-away treatment.
As always, happy baking, much love, and many blessings.