Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Butter Cream


My sister (in-law, in-law) birthday was last Sunday. Her favorite cake is red velvet and so, to celebrate her we had red velvet cupcakes and champagne before her flight. The cupcakes are delicious and easy to make, and quite tasty if I do say so myself. We had good intentions about sharing the 6 cupcakes we had left over, but we just ate them... I wish I could say it was my son, but it wasn't.

Happy Birthday Melina!


Here is what you need:
·         1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
·         3/4 cups sugar
·         ½ teaspoon baking soda
·         ½  teaspoon salt
·         ½ teaspoon cocoa powder
·         ¾ cups vegetable oil
·         ½ cup buttermilk, room temperature
·         1 large egg, room temperature
·         1 tablespoon red food coloring
·         ½ teaspoon white distilled vinegar
·         1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
·         1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
·         1 stick butter, softened
·         1 teaspoon vanilla extract
·         2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

Here is what I did:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake papers, I used red ones, get it, red velvet cake…
  2. I put all of the cake ingredients in my food processor, and blitz to combine
  3. Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 of the way full, for me a ice cream scooper does the trick
  4. Bake for 16 minutes or so.
  5. Let cool and frost. For a pretty presentation use a star tip on a pastry bag, but the frosting is so good it really doesn't matter.

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
  1. Using an electric mixer, whip all of the ingredients, starting on low or you will be standing in a powdered sugar tornado. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.





No comments: