Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes for Halloween



Happy Halloween everyone! I must admit that I never really celebrated Halloween, we would make chili, and carve a pumpkin but it was just another weeknight. Now with a little one the week has become super fun! And by super fun I mean Super Freddy


But, Super Freddy's best friend Dalmatian Isla can't have milk or eggs, and so for her we made special chocolate cupcakes for Halloween. These cupcakes are fantastic... I found the same recipe from multiple sources on the internet and I amended it some to make it more... um, me... but it is wonderful. I am not sure I will make regular chocolate cake again. 

Vegan Chocolate Cake Ingredients


1 1/4 cups organic flour

1 cup organic sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup warm water
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup canola oil

2 tsp of strong coffee
1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar


Vegan Frosting 
4 cup confectioners sugar
8 tbsp margarine
1 tbsp coconut milk

2 tsp vanilla extract
Orange Dye to tint the icing for Halloween 




What you do... 

1. Preheat your over to 350 degrees F
2. Take out your trusty muffin tins, this will make about 18 cupcakes so you will need two tins, and cupcake liners 
3. I blitzed all the ingredients in my food processor, but you can use a bowl and a wooden spoon, or whatever you have handy. 
4. Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full and bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean 
5. While the cupcakes are cooling make the frosting... 
6. With a standing mixer or a whisk and strong arm slowly mix together the sugar and margarine. Once you have a good whipped consistency add the other ingredients, slowly adding the orange tint until you reach your desired color. I went for a bright neon orange for the festivities. 
7. Once the cupcakes are cool you can decorate the cupcakes anyway you like. I simply used a star-tipped pastry bag and some cupcake toppers I made for the occasion. 

Happy Halloween, much love, many blessings, and happy baking! 

1 comment:

Dave said...

The cutest best and awesome cupcakes!