My little one calls blueberries, b-berries. He is a great fan of them, and he loves oatmeal as well. I know... strange kid, but my husband also like the combination so I thought these would make a fit and easy breakfast treat. Here is the recipe adapted from day dream kitchen.
What you need:
2 cups of rolled oats
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 cup of packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon of orange zest
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of cold cubed butter
3 cups of fresh blueberries
1/2 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of fresh orange juice
4 teaspoons of cornstarch
What you do:
- Zest a large orange, and juice save the juice and zest separately.
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan add the blueberries, sugar. Mix the cornstarch and orange juice to form a slurry, whisk any lumps, add to the blueberries and sugar, cook for 5 minutes or so until thick. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In your food processor pulse together the oats, flour, brown sugar, orange zest, salt, and cubed butter.
- Place parchment paper in a 8 inch square pan.
- Pour half of the oat mixture into the pan and press down with your hands. Pour over the cooled blueberry sauce. Then cover with the oat crumbles.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Let cool completely, refrigerate and cut into squares. Enjoy for breakfast, snack, or dessert with whipped cream.
They also freeze beautifully so you can keep them in the chiller and take one out when you want a semi healthy dessert, just pop it in the microwave for a minute.
As always, much love, many blessings, happy baking.