Friday, November 9, 2012

Turkey a la Marietta



So, when I am slightly blue, my favorite thing to do is to go to the grocery store and find something I have never cooked before. This is particularly interesting at an Asian market, but since I was in Whole Foods we are going to try and cook Turkey thighs. I found this recipe for Turkey a la Marietta on NY Times online. I amended it some but I am excited to hear what you think. We found turkey thighs to be very gamy and wild tasting. It was fun but not something I would do without using a brine first again.  
What you need: 
  • 2 turkey jointed thighs, about 2 1/2 lbs, bone in
  • 6 cloves chopped garlic
  • 12 sage leaves, chopped
  • 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped into large pieces
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into large pieces
  • Salt and pepper
  • Sprinkle of red wine vinegar
  • Sprinkle of olive oil
  • What you need: 
  • 1. Marinate the turkey for 5-6 hours in the refrigerator by blending the sage, garlic, and pepper with a mortar and pestle until you have thick paste. Rub the spice mixture into the turkey thighs. 
  • 2. Remove the thighs from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking to come to room temperature. 
  • 3. Preheat the oven 400 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes skin side down. 
  • 4. Add the chopped parsnips and carrots, turn the thighs over, and bake for another 30 minutes. Sprinkle everything with salt, pepper, olive oil, and a splash of vinegar. 
  • 5. Let the meat rest uncovered and enjoy. 
I served this with Parmesan drop biscuits and a dry white wine. 

As always, much love, many blessings, and happy roasting. 

No comments: