1. Always store is small quantities, that way the ice cream is sealed fresh
2. Use small amounts of toppings to protect the top of the ice cream from freezer burn
3. Whip the cream separately and add just before freezing for the creamy texture
Here is an easy recipe to make great candy cane ice cream
What you need:
- 2 cups of half and half
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- 12 crushed mini candy canes
What you do:
- In heavy bottomed saucepan gently heat the sugar and half and half until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Separate the eggs, reserve the whites for an omelette or pavlova. Whisk together the egg yolks, and add a little warm half and half to temper the egg yolks. You don't want scrambled eggs.
- Once the egg yolks are warm to the touch add them to the warm half and half and cook until it thickly coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Let cool the mixture cool.
- Whip the cream until you form stiff peaks.
- Set up your ice cream machine and add the cooled custard and the whipped cream into the freezer bowl.
- Follow your machine instructions to turn it on and make ice cream. It takes mine about 10 minutes. Once your ice cream has the consistency of soft serve scoop it into your containers of choice. I use single serve disposable freezer containers. I like to decorate mine, but anything will do. Tupperware certainly works.
- Crush the candy cane pieces and sprinkle on top before sealing your ice cream.
- Freeze until solid, usually 2 hours or so.
As always, much love, many blessings, and happy ice cream making.