This was my first attempt at making a Pepperoni bread from scratch. It was surprisingly easy and delicious. The pepperoni has a enough delicious juices to flavor the bread and create layers like a croissant.
Here was my go... I also made a quick and easy 10 minute marinara, which recipe also follows.
What you need:
2 cups of all purpose flour (bread flour if you have it, I did not)
1/2 cup of warm water
1 Tablespoon of yeast
1 Tablespoon of sugar
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
8 oz of sliced pepperoni
8 oz of grated mozzarella cheese
10 minute marinara sauce to dip
What you do:
1. Mix the yeast, sugar, and warm water in a glass and let stand for 5 minutes or so.
2. Add the flour to your mixing bowl fitted with a dough hook. Add the water and let the dough hook incorporate the ingredients.
3. After a minute or so add the olive oil, salt, and Italian seasoning.
4. Allow the dough to form and knead for at least 5 minutes.
5. Take the dough out of the bowl. Wash the bowl, and add a small amount of oil. Place a plastic cling film over the top and allow the dough to raise for an hour or so.
6. Once ready to make your pepperoni roll, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Spread out the dough in a rough rectangular shape. Spread out the mozzarella and pepperoni.
8. Roll the dough up and place seem side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.
9. Mix up one egg and a little bit of water and brush over the loaf.
10. Bake for 30 minutes or so, until the bread is completely done, use a skewer to ensure the dough is completely cooked through.
11. Serve with marinara, Chianti, and green salad.
As always, much love, many blessings, and happy baking!