What you need:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup molasses
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons powdered egg whites (meringue powder)
1 Tablespoon of water
What we you do:
1. In your standing mixer add all of the ingredients save the confectioners’ sugar, egg white powder and water. Put the mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; mix just until combined. Divide dough in half; flatten into disks and wrap in plastic cling wrap. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, prepare ungreased cookie sheets with parchment paper.
3. Take one disk out of the fridge and roll out until 1/8 to ¼ inch thick. Cut with your favorite cookie cutters. Use flour on your board and rolling pin to prevent sticking.
4. Place on your prepared baking sheets and freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.
5. Bake 8-10 minutes in the preheated oven. Decorate as desired.
6. To make royal icing whip together the powdered sugar, meringue powder and water. Place in a piping bag and decorate until your heart’s content. Feel free to adorn with sprinkles as is completely acceptable and expected.
As always, much love, many blessings, Happy Baking!